Friday, September 4, 2009

Bye, Bye Kidney


After several blood tests, a glucose test, chest x-ray, EKG, Abdominal CT scan, (3) 24-hour urine collections, a routine physical examination, mammogram, meeting with a social worker, the nurse coordinator, a surgeon, and nephrologist, I have finally been approved to donate my kidney to Lannette. It's has certainly been an interesting process. I have experienced the low of spilling a jug filled with 24-hours of my urine on the floor of my car (thanks to the idiot driver who pulled out in front of me to cross traffic about 100 yards from the hospital) to the high of the spiritual moments this experience has provided me.

Lannette went into kidney failure in January with an unexpected illness. She has spent the last eight months in dialysis three days a week. She spends this time away from her boys for almost six hours a day (and she's a single mom). She's unable to work and almost always exhausted. She's hasn't been herself and I am SO unbelievably thrilled to have the opportunity to help her resume a normal life.

The surgery is scheduled for October 28th and I will spend two weeks in Seattle following surgery to ensure that I am doing well before traveling home to Utah.

5 comments:

thehalvs said...

Holy cow! You will be in our prayers for sure. What a good sister.

Heidi said...

You are a wonderful sister! I will be praying for you both!

Lisa said...

What an amazing sacrifice. Let us know if we can help in any way.

AJsGirls said...

XO XO XO

SabinJT said...

*Totally random*... did you know that John Bytheway donated a kidney to his brother? He said that after the surgery his brother was almost back to normal and feeling great and as for himself... not so much... he also said that it was totally worth it!!! I will keep you in my prayers!! Miss You!! Email me with some info so that I can sneak in a visit while you're here k!!