Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What did I get myself into?

Last year I joined the Naches Trail PTA. I was pretty excited to be involved in Annalyce's school. Then, in February I volunteered to be the Treasurer for said organization (what can I say, I like money). And in June I got nominated and elected PTA President for the 2008-2009 school year. Yikes . . . that one happened before I even had time to blink/think. So here it is, almost the beginning of the new school year and I am in a rush to get everything we need together to begin the year successfully.

It started with a meeting last night with my board where we approved the welcome back letter and discussed fall meeting dates, the open house BBQ, emergency comfort packs, volunteers for the first day of school, the fall fundraiser, membership, etc.

And today, the fun began. My vice president, treasurer and I did all of the shopping for the comfort packs at Costco. Tonight as I began to turn off the lights to go to bed I wondered, "What did I get myself into?"


What do you think?
*13 cases water
*15 boxes crackers 'n cheese
*10 boxes of individual serving frosted flakes cups
*13 boxes juices boxes
*6 boxes fruit snacks
*4 boxes granola bars
*3 boxes gallon freezer bags
*1 case napkins
*5 boxes cereal bars
*3 tubs individually wrapped twizzlers
*2 bags (600) dum dums
*19 boxes fruit cups
*5 boxes Slim Jims
*500 wet wipes
*1000 sporks
*600 garbage bags

Together, with my board and several volunteers, we will assemble 45o comfort packs for some of the children of Naches Trail Elementary (850 would just be insane). It is just the beginning of my reign and already I am recognizing the amazing effort of those who have gone before me. No doubt I will ask this several times this year, but know that after all is said and done, it will be totally worth every moment. Anything is to make my daughter's school a better place.

4 comments:

thehalvs said...

Good Luck Melissa! YW and PTA are not exactly easy to take on at the same time. You will be great though. Let me know how I can ease your pain. (Okay, since you are the undisputed queen of the movie line, what movie is that from?)
p.s. the wristband/keychains came in. I think they will be cool.

Melissa said...

Could you mean . . . "Ease His Pain?" If so, then it is from Field of Dreams.

Brittany said...

Kudos to you for getting involved! I admire individuals like you and my sisters-in-law who make such a difference in the educaiton community!

Here's a movie quote for you.

"To make an impact, you have to go to extremes."

Melissa said...

Brittany, I must admit that I have no clue.