Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Corn-e







After Mark, my bro-in-law, harvested a truck load of corn Alicia and I spent all day Saturday preparing it for the freezer. I'm telling you, it was a lot of corn (almost 500 ear). And it seemed like a never ending task. I wish I had taken a couple pics of the truck before we started. We had to haul it around the house in boxes, dump it on the deck, and shuck it there. Then we moved it to the dining room table. We cleaned it, blanched it, cooled it in an ice water bath, dried it, cut it from the cob and stored it in gallon freezer bags. When all was done we had 22 bags with five cobs each and 20 bags of cut corn (12 cobs each). We ended around 2 a.m. after giving up on the last 175. We chose to share the wealth at church as we were too exhausted to finish. Needless to say, we were SICK of corn by the end of the night and the corn/shuck jokes we had been coming up with all day. It was a good day spent with Alicia (always is) and we felt a great sense of accomplishment looking at all we did, but will NEVER do it again! It occurred to us around 1:30 a.m. that it is well worth the $4.50 for a bag of frozen organic corn at Costco.

1 comment:

AJsGirls said...

Well, at least you know you will never starve because you have plenty of corn.