Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Runaways

On the first Saturday in March, our girls decided they were going to runaway to live with Jared & Janice in San Diego. They were quite mad at us because we weren't willing to make pancakes for breakfast. This was pretty silly since they had waffles for dinner the night before and were snubbing our newest tradition of "Sugar Cereal" Saturday. They had their choice of Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Flakes, Captain Crunch or Trix. Come on people, for a family that RARELY buys sugar cereal (I couldn't help but buy them at $1/box), they should have been happy to have such fun choices. But the weren't and they decided they weren't happy living in our home either so they began packing.



And packing ...


And packing ...


Oh if looks could kill ...


As they packed, we began to ask questions and write down the things they were saying to each other. Here is just a sample of our entertainment that morning:

Us: Why are you running away?
Peyton: We don't like this home anymore. We want you to stop being meanies.
Annalyce: You guys are mean.

Us: How are you going to carry everything?
Peyton: With magic.

Us: Where are you going to stay?
Peyton: In a hotel.
Annalyce: We can't afford a hotel Peyton.
Peyton: Why?
Annalyce: Because we can't.
Peyton: But I wanna jump on a bed.

Peyton: We need to take survival stuff.
Annalyce: We need some wood. Can we have wood?
Us: We don't have any wood.
Annalyce: We'll figure something out.

Peyton: We'll pray about you, cause we'll miss you.
Annalyce: No we won't.
Peyton: Okay, we won't.

Annalyce as she's packing: Underwear, check. Umbrella, check. Blanket, check. Money, check. Scripture, check.

Peyton: Good-bye Mojo, good-bye bed, good-bye library books, good-bye toys.

Peyton: If Uncle Jared calls, tell him we're on our way & will be there in two weeks.

Annalyce: I don't think we need all this stuff.

Peyton: Who is going to help us carry all this stuff.

Peyton: Are we really going to do this?

They finally got everything packed (as Jeremiah and I continued to chuckle) and began loading their arms and packs onto their backs.





And then decided to leave ...





They got to the end of the driveway and decided they weren't going to be able to carry everything. They asked dad to take them to San Diego in his truck. He said no and after expressing some fear over being outside for a long time, walking and being around bugs, etc. they changed their minds. Once inside again they proceeded to clean up their HUGE mess with no help from us and then enjoyed a breakfast of sugar cereal. Yum!

Jeremiah and I can't help but wonder what it will be like when they're pre-teens/teenagers and decide they really aren't happy with living in our home or by our rules. I sure hope that day never comes, but have to be realistic. They're girls after all. If they're ready to run away over pancakes (which we serve quite frequently in our home), I can only imagine what they do over something a little more dramatic. I guess only time will tell.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

That is hilarious! Sorry... I know thats probably not the best word to use in a moment like this.
They are going to love hearing this story when they get older.

AJsGirls said...

I am so glad you posted the story, now I can get a visual of it. So very funny. Let's hope they have lerned their lessons young and will not have to repeat when they get older. XO

Aly said...

that is so cute <3

Dave said...

What a funny story!! I'm glad they came to their senses, but also impressed they though to pack scriptures and survival stuff... Hope you guys are well!

Heidi said...

You are such good parents!! I love it!