Monday, October 12, 2009

Eve of Surgery

Lannette and I spent several hours today at the UW Medical Center. I meet with my surgeon, the pre-anesthesiology clinic, and had lab tests. Lannette not only had those appointments, but also had dialysis and an EKG. No doubt she is exhausted and I'm hopeful she gets some sleep (and me too).

Tonight we had different things to do to prep for tomorrow. I have been on a clear liquid diet today and needed to drink two liters of fluid between 8:00 and 12:00 p.m. Lannette, however, was allowed to eat today before 8 p.m. She also needed to take several measures to "clean" her system. And we both needed to shower with an antiseptic scrub. Of course it's all worth it, but I am doing my best right now to keep down my fluids. Let's just say, 1.5 liters of water + .5 liters of apple juice = really unhappy tummy. I keep telling myself that it must stay down or else I will have to start over again.

I will be arriving at the hospital tomorrow at 5:45 a.m. and should be in surgery around 8 a.m. Lannette will arrive at 6:30 a.m. and will follow me in surgery. We should be out and in recovery between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. I'm hoping to have an update posted sometime tomorrow evening, but that means I will have to convince Jeremiah to write one ... we will see what happens.

Thanks again for your positive thoughts and prayers.

Almost forgot. Here is a picture of Lannette and I laying in her bed before dialysis.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I'm literally half-way around the world from beautiful WA, but I'll be praying for both of you!

Xanadu2You said...

We're all thinking about you here at work -- hope you and your sis are both doing well!

BTW, did the kidney get a name?

Cheers,

Erin