Friday, January 25, 2008

Oh to be warm again . . .

My first year in Las Vegas was miserable. And if you were to tell me that I would miss it when I moved I would have laughed at you. After two more years it was difficult to move and I have missed it more these last few months than I thought possible.

I miss my friends in the Elk Ridge Ward. I miss spending time with Missy. I miss the painted walls of my home (rentals are just too white). I miss the convenience of Jeremiah working only 15 minutes away. I miss walking barefoot through the house. I miss In n' Out Burger. I miss being so close to California and our friends and family there.

And today, I especially miss the winter temperatures. This morning I stood at the bus stop with Annalyce and my nose was cold, my ears were cold, my hands and my toes were cold and I thought to myself . . . "It's stinkin' COLD!" What did I expect it's 20 degrees outside and has been every morning this week. While in Vegas it is 48 degrees. That's gotta be rough!

There are many reasons why I am content to be back in Washington though. I am closer to family and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to see them almost weekly and watching my children become friends with their cousins. I also get to enjoy all the beauty the Pacific Northwest has to offer (mountains, the ocean, lakes and rivers). I have a view of Mt. Rainier almost everyday and it is glorious. I am surrounded by green, something Vegas rarely sees. And the sacrifice (rain) is worth it.

I am not sure that anything will ever compensate for the warmth of Vegas or the missed friendships . . . but at least the view warms my heart.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I miss the mountain...did you take that picture? It looks like a postcard.

Dave said...

Angela is making me play this "tag" game, so in an effort to get some additional posts out of you guys, I tag you. Check out our blog for the details. Remember Angela started it...